Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Slippery Fish


Sam lately has been coming home from "school" (daycare) having learned songs. He teaches them to me, and we sing them together. The latest:

Slippery fish, slippery fish
Swimming in the water
Gulp, gulp,
Oh, no!
He got eaten by a tuna fish!

Tuna fish, tuna fish
Swimming in the water
Gulp, gulp,
Oh, no!
He got eaten by a great white shark!

Great white shark
...You get the idea.

A couple days ago, I ran some laps around the woodsy and hilly property of my in-laws in rural Maryland. It was raining, muddy and puddly (fun). But despite waiting three months postpartum before getting back into running, my return hasn't been the issue-free comeback I was hoping for. During the run, I got the "Slippery Fish" tune stuck in my head, in Sam's little voice. But it went like this:

Slippery Mom, Slippery Mom
Running in the water
Gulp, gulp.
Oh, no!
She got eaten by a bunion!

(I think due to lax joints and ligaments, my left big toe has gone a bit astray, causing a bunion. Best solution so far? Strengthening my feet and ankles.

Silly Mom, Silly Mom
Running in the water
Gulp, gulp
Oh, no!
She got eaten by a bum left hip!

(Perhaps due to the bunion, or the other way around, my SI Joints—one loose, one tight—still seeming to cause my pelvis to rotate out of whack. Best solution so far: stretching the muscles around both my left and right SI Joint, gently strengthening supporting muscles.)

Silly Mom, Silly Mom
Running in the water
Gulp, gulp
Oh, no!
Her uterus is falling out!

(This one, well, when I have Ben sit on my lap too much, or when my body's just out of alignment, some crazy parts of my body feel out of alignment, too. Best solution so far: fire breathing and more exercises from this program.)

Silly Mom, etc.
Oh, no!
Her belly is still huge!

(And this one. My uterus either still hasn't shrunken back down, prolonged by this I had to deal with at 9-weeks postpartum due to retained placenta, or I just got way stretched out carrying Ben and it's just taking a while to un-stretch. Best solution so far? Patience. Mirror-avoidance.)

Silly Mom...
Oh, no!
Her hair is falling out!

(This happened after I had Sam, too, and only grew back when I got pregnant with Ben. Best solution so far? Taking supplements, including fish oil. And, hope.)

I'd say it was a depressing laundry list of postpartum ailments that maybe other moms experience, too, but it wasn't all that depressing. The run was particularly pain-free, and I liked having Sam's little voice in my head. I also feel like I'm being proactive about all the ailments, and they're all getting a bit better, day-by-day. And the muddy, puddly, soggy run made me feel like a kid...and then I got to see my two silly slippery fish when I was done.

1 comment:

  1. My hair came out in clumps after both of my pregnancies as well. When you're pregnant, the hormones keep it from falling out and stimulate growth. Totally normal!

    ReplyDelete